Friday, May 18, 2007

Is Good Enough, Really Good Enough?

By: Cari Vollmer

I used to sit and cry because I couldn't keep up with everything I was supposed to do as a wife, mother and working woman.

I would actually get so frustrated by my inability to "do it all" I would be unable to do anything at all. I would freeze, be unable to move, and then feel like a failure.

As sorry as it sounds, I'm not kidding. I made myself miserable because I thought I should be doing so much more. Not only that, I thought I needed to do everything I did "just right".

Sound familiar?

I expect more women relate to this "perfection paralysis" than men, but I have known a fair number of men that suffer from it too.

Perfection Paralysis, as I define it, is what happens when your personal expectations are so great you get stuck because you can't seem to figure out how to do what it takes to meet your expectations.

For example, there are no answers to be found on how to easily cook a beautiful and delicious Food Network-type meal for 10 while cleaning your house until it shines the day before you leave for a week long business trip.

Nope. I never found the how-to manual for juggling it all easily and beautifully, but I did find something better.

I discovered two words that saved me and they'll save you too. [Read full article]